At Bay House we are passionate about all pupils experiencing a positive transition as this helps set the foundation for their time at secondary school.
We recognise the huge step that it is from their safe and familiar surroundings, to the busy and more independent environment of a large secondary school, and so we have a comprehensive transition plan in place to help alleviate worries for both parents and pupils.
What transition programme do we offer?
Once you have been notified that you have been successful in obtaining a place for your child at Bay House School, you will be contacted by our Admissions department. They will send you all of the registration forms and details of other key information required as part of your acceptance of the place offered. This pack will also contain details of important transition dates. NB - If your child attends a junior/primary school in Gosport, this will be distributed via the junior/primary schools. If your child attends a school outside of Gosport, this will be sent to your home address.
During the summer term, you will be invited to attend a meeting where staff and pupils will be available to answer any questions you have about transition and what to expect when your child becomes a pupil at Bay House School.
Work with primary/junior schools
Throughout the Summer term, our transition team will be fully engaged with the Year 6 teams in the primary/junior schools to ensure a smooth transition for each individual child.
During the summer term we work closely with all junior/primary schools on the transition project work (Maths and English). The aim of these projects is for the pupils to start maths and English work whilst still at their primary school and use this work when they arrive in September. This allows for continuity of learning and gives the opportunity for Bay House staff to see the standard at which the pupils are working.
We offer 3 full days of transition to all pupils joining in September which will take place in July. During these visits pupils will experience a variety of lessons and onsite activities including rehearsals for the ‘Year 6 Transition Concert’. The concert will take place on one of the evenings during the 3-day transition visits and parents will be invited to attend the performance.
We realise that transition is different for everyone and some pupils require a further package of support. If you are concerned about transitioning to Bay House School please do not hesitate to speak to your junior school or contact the transition team.
To read more about the work of our transition team click here.
We are looking forward to welcoming all year 6 pupils to Bay House for their transition visits and choral concert during week commencing 8 July. We really hope that any worries they may have about transferring to secondary school will be eased once they become more familiar with Bay House.
Please see below the dates each school will be attending Bay House for their transition visits:
- Tuesday 9 July
- Wednesday 10 July
- Thursday 11 July *Please note early finish time of 14:05pm on this date
Please find below information from our Music department regarding the Choral Concert and also another copy of the Skoolkit leaflet detailing 2 discount offer events offered to Year 6 Parents/Carers.
- Year 6 Pupils from Alverstoke Junior School and Lee On Solent Junior School
- Year 6 Pupils from Gomer Junior School, Haselworth Primary School, Leesland Junior School and all Non Catchment Schools
- Skoolkit leaflet
A summary of information to help with the transition days is as follows:
- All transition days will begin at 8.30am (please aim for arrival from 8.15am onwards) and finish at 3.10pm (*14.05pm on Thursday 11 July). If you are collecting your child by car at the end of the day, we would suggest that you wait in the nearby Stokes Bay car parks located at the rear of the School as cars are not permitted to wait near, or opposite, the Main Gate, as this can cause serious congestion (double yellow lines are operative).
- On arrival each day, pupils should meet in the main playground under the large white domed shelter. Parents are not permitted to come on site with their children but please don’t worry, there will be plenty of staff available to direct pupils where they need to go.
- Pupils should wear their current school uniform when taking part in the transition days although as you will see from the attached letter, we are asking parents (if at all possible) to send pupils in for the evening concert wearing the new Bay House polo top.
- If you have returned the consent form, pupils will have their finger image scanned on the first day of transition and therefore their account will be ‘live’ from this point onwards. Once they have been scanned, if your child wishes to use the canteen, please ensure you send them in with money so that they can credit their account or if not, they can of course bring in a packed lunch on each day. Please note, we do suggest that on the first day of transition, even if the pupils wish to use the canteen, they should also bring in some other food or a packed lunch just incase there are any issues with the imaging system or incase of an outstanding consent form. This avoids any situations where pupils may not have access to a school lunch. Children in receipt of free-school-meals will have their account automatically credited each day they visit us.
- Please ensure you send a filled water bottle in with your child on ALL transition days
- Please ensure your child attends ALL transition days with basic stationery equipment – (pen, pencil, ruler and rubber)
- Year 6 pupils are permitted to ride to school on transition days if they wish to. We would strongly encourage all pupils riding to school to wear cycle helmets . They should enter through the main gate (not the Stanley Park entrance) and ensure they lock their bike in the pound which can be found on the left-hand side as they enter the gate.
- Please carefully check the attached letter for the timings of the concert your child will be performing in. Again, if possible, we would appreciate them wearing their new Bay House polo top which can be ordered or bought directly from Skoolkit (as per the attached details).
- We are still in the process of finalising the lesson timetable for the visits so I will be in touch nearer the time to advise if your child is required to bring a PE kit during one of their visits – please keep an eye out for any emails from me between now and the transition visits.
Finally, if you have not purchased one already and wish for your child to have a locker when they start in September 2019, these can be purchased from the finance office at a cost of £15 for the full 5 years. These can be purchased now or if you would prefer, you can purchase this when your child starts in September.
For further information regarding Admissions to Bay House School, please click here.