Why should I learn a language?
- English is not enough!
- Languages are the perfect way to travel and immerse yourself in new cultures.
- Future employers will love a second language on your CV.
- Learning a foreign language can help you understand your own language.
- They’re good for you! A second language improves your memory.
What languages can I learn?
- Year 7: All pupils study French twice a week.
- Year 8: German and Spanish are then offered as a second language to those who have made good progress in French.
- Year 9: Pupils are given a choice about the language they study, including French, German, Spanish and Mandarin
- GCSE: French, German, Spanish and Mandarin are all available to study at GCSE. Dual linguists can continue to study both!
- Sixth Form: French, German and Spanish are offered to Lower and Upper Sixth students.
Will I have the chance to travel abroad?
- Normandy, France: A successful visit for Year 8 pupils to Northern France
- Royan, France: An exchange with a secondary school in Gosport’s twinned town
- Metz, France: A well-established exchange for Sixth Form pupils to Lorraine, East France
- Germany: Previous destinations for Year 9 and 10 pupils include the Rhineland and Black Forest
- Berlin, Germany: A chance for Sixth Form students to visit the German capital city
- Barcelona, Spain: An opportunity to experience the way of life in Spain for Year 9 and 10 pupils
- China: Join a summer study camp in China in a once in a lifetime trip
But don’t just take our word for it…
"The Royan Exchange trip is a trip I would recommend to all. The French families were all so welcoming and made you feel at home. It has been such a different experience and I have learnt lots of new French." Abigail
"The families were so welcoming and kind and helped us to take in the whole French atmosphere."
"We would do it again if we had the choice. It was an incredible experience and we will never forget the memories." Melissa and Zar
"It has been a trip that we will never forget and we have made some lifelong friends. We are all excited about seeing them again next April." Sarah and Lydia